Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Susan Kane and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. mine 2. child 3. foundation 4. careful 5. bird 6. dig 

and/or: 

1. hate 2. sadness 3. lemon 4. attach 5. breakfast 6. time

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month: salmon pink

Here is my story:

Under the blossoming lemon tree, I gaze at you as you gaze at me, the words of an old favourite song coming to mind, "oh, sweet child of mine". 

We have made it successfully through our first month together and I believe our foundation is solid. I feel such love when you attach yourself to my breast each breakfast time, you drink your fill as your tiny fingers dig in and your toes curl with the pleasure. 

I shall teach you as you grow, to appreciate the little things in life, birds and butterflies, flowers and growing vegetables, the gentle salmon pinks of sunrises and the deeper sunsets too. 

I shall teach you to be careful with your words when speaking with others, that you do not unwittingly hurt with them, there is far too much hate and sadness already in this world you have been born into. 

Consideration of others is the key to so many things. 

But for now, I shall hold you and just enjoy the day. 


Comments

  1. This is delightful - your little great-grandson is much in your thoughts and heart, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; yes and the twins too, although they are not so little now at almost ten months old.

      Delete
  2. OMG River. This was so sweet! I loved all the kindness in your writing. Delightful words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Happy Whisk; thank you, all the babies here have turned my heart to mush :)

      Delete
  3. You've captured a beautiful moment, this is a delight to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you. Part of this is a memory of feeding my youngest.

      Delete
  4. I never thought of using a lemon tree in a story. Probably because they don't grow here.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I thought lemon trees would grow everywhere, seems I was wrong.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful, sweet, deep read. Sometimes I think maybe I missed out having decided "against" having kids. The nicer to read how it could be like.
    Wish many a mother had such thoughts.
    Especially my little Niece is... she gets what she wants, if not she lies to get it, pushes others, it´s sad. "She will make her way", my Brother said. Well, I made mine, too. And I prefer my way.
    Love your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; there's no guarantee you would have easy, placid, happy children, so perhaps your choice was the right one for you. Sorry to hear about your niece, those tactics won't work for her when she has a job as an adult, especially the lying.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think it was the right decision. Also Ingo is OK with it "now". And, yes, I agree. Lies have short legs, huh.

      Delete
    3. Oh, P.S. ... family time with Peanut :-)

      Delete
  6. Samuel carried the yellow bird down into the mine, careful to hang the cage where miners could see it. It was just another day of digging, for Samuel who had been in the mines since he was a child, For the miners, coal was the foundation of their community. Love it or hate it, Samuel did not feel the sadness that came over the town in a black cloud. He did not have time to escape the rumble of a cave-in. The bird had died, and so had Samuel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; awww, so sad, a life lived and died in the mines. Good story.

      Delete
  7. That is sweet, and such an unobtrusive use of the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; thank you. I do try to make the words "invisible" as much as possible.

      Delete
  8. You wrote such a tender and meaningful story. Great use of the words! They fit seamlessly into the writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs