Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by  David M Gascoigne and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. aghast 

2. snivel 

3. beautiful 

4. magnanimous 

5. frogmarch 

6. spoonfeed 

and/or: 

1. shoulder 

2. knot 

3. frenzy 

4. wicket 

5. wriggle 

6. visible 

Here is my story: 

I stared aghast at the small creature quivering before me. My desire to appear magnanimous, might have backfired. Taking in the youngest of my brother’s children hadn’t really been my idea. I had thought instead of supplying my brother with wads of cash, but my wife had pooh-poohed that decision. “Money doesn’t solve everything,” she’d said. “The man would just drink and gamble it away and what was left, his wife would drink away.” The older children, both girls, had been taken by the wife’s relatives and now the boy, cheeks wet with tears and nose running like a hose, looked up at me as if frightened that I might eat him or something. Of course I couldn’t send him back, the parents were now in rehabilitation centres as ordered by the judge. Putting the child in foster care didn’t seem right either.

I handed him a large white handkerchief with orders to wipe his face and “please don’t snivel anymore.” He did so and my wife smiled at him.  “There now, isn’t that better? You’ll soon get used to us, and we will get used to you. I am sorry that we have never met before, your parents did seem to move around a lot, we were never quite sure where you would be from one month to the next.” “Living like gypsies,” I said, “always running from one creditor or another. I suppose instead I could pay the money to the creditors and give the children a clean slate for a fresh start.”

"I suppose I should show you where you will sleep,” I said. “What is your name again?” “Jake, sir,” he replied in a quiet voice. “Come this way, Jake,” I said and led him across the room to the stairs. We have a room that should be suitable, not too big, but not tiny either. Do you have clothes or toys with you?” “Only this little bag sir,” he replied. “Now young man, this sir business will have to stop. You can call me Uncle John,” I said, “and this lovely lady is your Auntie Toni.” “Tony is a boy’s name,” said Jake with surprise and Toni said “it is short for Antonia, would you like to call me that instead?” Jake shook his head and dragged his small pack of belongings behind him as we climbed the stairs.

I opened the door to a room painted in a dusky blue shade and Jake’s eyes grew wide. “It’s beautiful,” he said, “blue is my favourite colour, how did you know?” “I didn’t know, but I’m glad you like it. Do you think the bed is big enough? You are quite small.” “I’m five,” he said, standing as straight and tall as he could.  “I’ll get bigger, I promise.” He turned to look at the bed. “Is it really just for me? I never had a bed all for myself before.” “it is just for you,” said Toni, “and our room is just across the hall, so we are never far away if you need us in the night. You don’t have nightmares or anything like that do you?” “No,” said Jake. “I just sleep.”

“Right then,” I said. “Unpack your things and put them in the drawers and then we’ll go down to the kitchen. Toni has cooked a few things that we think small boys like, it’s been a long time since I was a boy, I was quite grown up when your father was born." The unpacking of a pitifully small amount of grungy looking clothing was accomplished in just a few minutes and we made our way to the kitchen where Toni had set out several dishes.

 I said. “Do we have to spoonfeed you like a baby or can you manage a knife and fork?” A cheeky grin appeared on his face as he said, “You really don’t remember about being five do you Uncle John?” In that moment he looked so much like his father, Ray, I felt a knot in my chest. How had Ray turned out so badly? What had gone so wrong in his life? Placing my hand on Jake’s shoulder I guided him to a chair then we watched in amazement as he undertook such a frenzy of eating we thought he might choke. He did soon enough slow down though and after gulping down a glass of milk said,” it’s all so good. I’ve never seen this much food all at once.”

 A huge yawn followed and we decided he should go to bed early. Tomorrow would be soon enough to show him the rest of the house, including the bathroom. He did rather look as if he didn’t get a decent wash very often, but tonight we’d skip it and let him sleep. Later, as we were taking ourselves to bed, we peeked in and discovered he had wriggled so far under the comforter only a small tuft of his curly dark hair was visible


Comments

  1. This sounds like the start of a wonderful story. Much like Anne of Green Gables. I hope for more chapters on small Jake and his Aunt and Uncle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I have never read Anne of Green Gables. There may be more chapters, but we will have to wait and see where the words take me next week.

      Delete
  2. This is lovely. If only all the Jakes of this world had an Uncle John and an Aunt Toni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; that would be wonderful.

      Delete
  3. I am loving the direction of this story. I see many good things for John, Toni and Jake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; John learns a lot about small boys and Jake learns the joys of regular mealtimes.

      Delete
  4. Lovely. And a heartwarming river of words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean Jeating; welcome to drifting and thank you.

      Delete
  5. Money does solved all things, although not having enough can make one life difficult.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; money solves a lot, but not everything.

      Delete
  6. What a story.
    But, that is really the Aussie way. Ingo always gets addressed "Sir" in your country as well!
    Would NEVER happen here! But, you know.... I like this little piece of respect!
    And the word "Auntie" I only learned in Australia, too.
    Boy... you make me homesick.

    Awww, 5 and standing tall.
    And another word, oh, too late, my Nieces don´t need "spoonfeed"-ing anymore. In 1995 we bought such a feeder in Australia (somewhere) in the form of a plane!

    What a bitter-sweet story!!! Aw. You nearly have me in "joyful" tears!

    P.S. thank you, I added two videos of Freddie :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; "sir" is a very English thing, more than Australian, I don't know where Jake picked it up, maybe when talking to policemen since his parents were often in trouble. I will look at the videos tomorrow, I need to shut down now and cook my dinner.

      Delete
    2. Well, in your place Ingo often gets addressed like that. Britain. Oh, last time was 1993, I guess!
      Hmmm, so what was for (winter?-)dinner?

      Delete
    3. Mashed potatoes and sausage hotpot.

      Delete
    4. Love mashed potatoes. Ingo still uses his Granma´s tool for this :-)
      He says "It´s not 'Omma stampft nicht mehr'!"
      Oh, she was a fine Granma. We lived with her. Sweet memories. Well, no privacy, but. That was our life ;-)

      Delete
  7. What an imagination and writing skills. Thank you, River.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is a wonderful story River - Jake is now one happy little boy and very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; there are some rocky spots ahead, but overall things turn out well.

      Delete
  9. Great story. You have a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww. It sounds like the beginning of a beautiful new family. Let's hope he gets to visit the sisters often, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done. Your writing makes me feel like I'm right there with the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; thank you very much, that's what I hope for when I write, "real" enough to be there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs