Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by David M. Gascoigne and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. formidable

2. reticent

3. naturalist

4. hoity-toity

5. ego

6. combination

and/or: 

1. exude

2. strident

3. copious

4. salient

5. temerity

6. euphemism

Here is my story:

The sisters were so different, it was hard to believe they were from the same family. Johanna was formidable, strident and exuded confidence in all she did. Marcy was reticent and any attempt at confidence made her appear hoity-toity and drove people away instead of bringing them in.

Growing up in Johanna’s shadow, her ego took a tremendous battering and she nightly shed copious tears throughout her teenage years.

The combination worked well for them in later years though, as Johanna opened a naturalist resort, where people could be as natural as they liked, although full nudity was not a requirement for members.

Johanna interacted with the people, organizing activities and trips to the local township, while Marcy took care of the office work and made contact with various stores for delivery of supplies.

One summer, with great temerity, Marcy had phoned and rebuked a store manager for not delivering enough sunscreen! She’d felt quite proud of herself when he apologized profusely and brought the extra supplies out in his own car that same day.

Even Johanna had praised her for finally showing a bit of steel, instead of quivering over the mistake and wondering if she should just reorder earlier than usual. 


I didn't manage to use salient or euphemism, and the story is begging to go further, but I haven't worked that out yet.

Comments

  1. Yes it needs a part two - at least I'd like to read more of those two sisters and their resort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; the problem is I know nothing at all about such resorts.

      Delete
    2. Lol River…..ask Lee in Queensland…..she’ll fill you in. Many moons ago she used to manage resorts :)

      Delete
    3. But not a naturalist resort where nudity is allowed.

      Delete
  2. Echoing Charlotte (MotherOwl). I am very glad that different as they are the sisters work well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; being so different sometimes makes all the difference in how people get along. I don't know that I can do a second chapter. I know nothing about resorts of any kind.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful example of using what talents we have to the best advantage. I would love this to go further also and maybe see Marcy grow even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; oh dear, it seems I've started something with no idea how to go on.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing more ‘chapters in the lives’ of Johanna and Marcy.
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy; I hope I can do more on Johanna and Marcy, but won't be holding my breath.

      Delete
  5. We play our parts.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; that's true, we all do have a part to play.

      Delete
  6. For a moment, I thought Marcy's temerity might be due to an attempt to join the "natural" guests in a day of activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; Marcy would never be so daring, even Johanna keeps some clothing on.

      Delete
  7. The salient point is that in a naturalist resort people air their differences; and that's no euphemism.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor SE Moubarak; thank you, that's a good way to use those two words. I couldn't think how to fit them in.

      Delete
  8. I see myself there a bit. With age I brave up and people react in a positive way even!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; I'm the same, more brave than I used to be. It gets easier when you stop wondering what others might think.

      Delete
  9. I enjoy your stories. Please give us more.

    Lady Letitia was one formidable lady whose personality made staff reticent about contacting her in her favorite garden. She was a devout naturalist, running and bounding about the flowers in her naked saggy skin. “No hoity toity lace for me.” Letitia’s ego always exploded when anyone challenged her combination of being free and mean spirited.

    “After all, I am the Lady after all. Get over it.”




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; this is good, and I think every town should have a Lady Letitia, although maybe not completely naked in the winter.

      Delete
  10. If the story is begging to be told, then tell it, please. This is a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I know the story want more, but I don't have any of it worked out. Yet.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs