Sunday Selections # 187



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to TheElephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.

Kath and Andrew often join in.
There are a couple of other participants too:
Jackie K at WorkingThrough It

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm continuing with some photos of my day at the Gorge Wildlife Park with J and J.
This week I'm featuring some of the birds, many of which were uncaged, roaming free.

this cheeky fellow was determined to get everyone's attention.

while this one preferred to stay way up high

I see you down there

what's that? you want me to come down?

I love their yellow crests, these are our Sulphur Crested Cockatoos.

Here is a Corella getting a good scratch from J

Corellas are the ones with pink around the eyes and on their chests.

here is one of the many cheeky Galahs that were everywhere.

same bird, "dancing" for us. often enough these birds have learned to dance, if you say to them "dance cocky, dance cocky", they will bob up and down and shift along the branches as they do so.

five Galahs against the soft green of a she-oak tree.

a closer look.

Galahs mingling happily with some ducks.

I love their pink and grey colouring.

Cockies are quite destructive birds however and do a lot of damage to wooden structures such as verandas and fences, also cause a lot of trouble to farmers when giant flocks of them descend on the crops.















Comments

  1. You can see mischievous intent in their eyes, but aren't they just the most amusing of all birds to watch, and interact with if they are tame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos River, galahs and parrots are truly amazing birds and we get flocks of the little corellas on the lawns at work from time to time, noisy little critters they are.

    I'm sharing too this week.

    http://menopausalmumma.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/sunday-selections-textures-and-colours.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elephant's Child; I knew you would love them.

    Andrew; I remember the cheeky galah I had as a child, he used to nibble my ears.

    kakka; thanks, I love the big parrots much better than the tiny budgerigars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful photos of beautiful birds. Years ago I had a corella and then a galah to share my life and loved them both. Never caged them so unfortunately they eventually flew away when someone forgot to clip their wings. They both had a good life with us and hopefully went on to live happily for many years.
    Do you remember when there were telegraph wires across the Nullarbor how the parrots used to nibble at...I think it was insulators and we'd lose communication east to west? Maybe I remember more being resident in the west.
    Hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimsie; my childhood galah was never caged, he had the run of the yard and slept on the porch at night. He was great friends with our dog and cat, they'd all sleep in the sun together. I remember the destruction they caused to telegraph wires.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful birds, River.
    I feel blessed to see them in our neighbourhood daily.
    Australia has some amazing, unique wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki; we have the sulphur cresteds going over in flocks at dusk this week, but too high and too fast for my camera.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs