Sunday Selections # 262



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.
  Andrew often joins in too.

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week it's all botanical.

The following photos are from a visit to the Adelaide Botanic Gardens way back in April 2011, when I had my first digital camera and was still learning how to use it. 

I don't know what this is, in fact I don't know what any of the flowers are from this day, I didn't think to read and note down the labels back then.

I thought this might be a spider lily, but the cup on the flower is too wide I think. 
Feel free to correct any mistakes I make.

something purple/blue and slightly out of focus.

same purple/blue flowers, different angle.

a young Moreton Bay fig tree, view one,

view two,

and view three. I love the Moreton Bay Figs, the trees, not the fruit.

Danger in the water, there are lots of submerged tree roots and quite possibly some rubbish too.

the annual convention of the "shower heads".
these are the seed pods of the water lilies that bloom here every year, I was too late to catch the flowers this time.

see? shower head.

and to finish, a busy little bee.












Comments

  1. I can help with the first two. #1 is yucca and #2 appears to be a white spider lily, so you were correct.
    Beautiful photos but I'm a bit prejudiced since I love botanical gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first is a yucca. One used to live contentedly by the bend of the sidewalk, and send up the occasional youngster. When the grands and I began turning the weed patch into a garden, EC warned me how invasive it really is. It has roots as thick as my wrist that run for miles under the ground. It was very unhappy with our attempt to uproot it, and now sends up bazillions of baby yuccas everywhere. Because we have so much good stuff growing on, it's not possible to turn over the whole garden again for all the yucca roots, which we'd never get anyway, so we have a continual war of clipping them to the ground three or four times a summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Botanical gardens. And trees. I am reading a book at the moment 'In Their Branches' which is made up of short stories by other people who also love their trees.
    I would like a yucca - if they didn't have world domination plans and I had somewhere to put it. And have tried, and failed, on the spider lily front. We get too cold I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully others have been of assistance with the naming of the blooms because I would've been totally useless. But my not knowing the names doesn't bother me, because the blooms tell their own story through your beautiful pictures. :)

    Your photo of the shower head is great. Nature is great, and it's always such a willing subject.

    Have a wonderful week, River...cuddles to Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morteon bay figs have fruit I didn't know that.
    Love shower heads good name.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a good effort with your new digital camera back then. Wasn't it exciting to get your first digital camera. The lily seeds are interesting. Never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a yucca plant! I have one by my mailbox! :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely selection..
    You did an excellent job with that camera in 2011.
    Interesting the shower head.
    Botanical gardens usually have different plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Cranky; welcome to drifting and thank you for those answers.

    R. Mac Wheeler; I love bees too.

    fishducky; I love bees and the honey.

    Joanne; a reminder to me to never plant a yucca! I'll admire them in other gardens.

    Elephant's Child; I haven't been to our gardens in a long while. I recently heard our 'stink' lily was blooming so decided to stay away. I saw articles about it in the paper and on TV, both media showing people covering their noses while getting a look.

    Lee; I've remembered the shower head flowers are actually a lotus, not a lily, but the seed pods are just as intriguing.

    Merle; the fruit on the is small, berry sized and the birds love them.

    Andrew; I was quite pleased with my photos back then, and had a lot of fun once I discovered the macro and zoom settings.

    Happy Elf Christine; by reading the above comments, you'll kn ow by now to never try and move it because of the tough invasive roots, which will then sucker all over your garden.

    Margaret-whiteangel; I was happy with the camera for quite a long time, then got one with rechargeable batteries and better zoom.
    I really like the shower head seed pods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos.
    The murky water looks as though it could also harbour a croc or two... I know, not possible in Adelaide, but I have a vivid imagination :)

    I ADORE bees.
    And, they are absolutely vital to our survival.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs