Sunday Selections # 281



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.
 
I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week we're back in my garden.

remember this from a few Sundays ago? It's done some growing since then....

the flower stems are just over a metre long now.

at their base, each stem is an inch thick. I love the colours of it; the soft shades here and the brighter pink further up the stem.

weeds are popping up here and there, not many and easily removed with the soil so damp from the rains.

bluebells are also showing above ground now.

a flattened path between the grasses leading to a hollow under one of the grass bushes where Angel  likes to hide in the cool shade.

most of the leaves are gone now from my plum trees

making it easier to see Kackle, my plastic kookaburra,

Cap'n Jack, the macaw, also plastic,

and my favourite wind spinner.

my bizzy bee spinner has lost most of her wings.

and I bought two new plants. Crotons that were on sale at a local supermarket.
I haven't yet decided just where to put them.














Comments

  1. The busy bee looks like he is flying sideways so you don't miss the missing wings. I like your wind spinner too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thumb must be a DEEP kelly green!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the crotons. Too frosty for them here. The skinny one's mother grew some stunners in Brisbane. They became trees.
    Great garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the weather vane behind the trees too. I gather the crotons do not get toasted and added to soup. Kackle is a good name for a kookaburra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's raining lightly here at present, having started through the night...heavier rain to follow as the day unfolds. The gardens will be loving it and the water tanks will fill. We never run out of water here on this property (unless my landlords drain the tank and forget to tell me)...as we also draw water from the aquifer when needed. The mountain groundwater is beautiful. So happy to learn that all the drought-affected regions have been receiving wonderful downfalls.

    I think all my bird families will be hiding safely in their nests and burrows today.

    I hope you have a good week ahead, River...cuddles to your furry friend Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Elf Christine; sadly the bizzy bee no longer spins since losing her wings. The orange wind spinner is my favourite.

    fishducky; sometimes they're more olive green...mostly it's luck and ripping out what doesn't thrive or survive.

    Elephant's Child; we don't get frost more than once or twice each winter so I think they'll be okay. They'll be sheltered somewhat by the jades and I've seen some growing well in another garden within the complex.

    Andrew; no, you're thinking of croutons. The weather vane/windmill is quite popular with passers by who all comment on it.

    Lee; we had a sprinkle of rain overnight, but nothing significant for a day or two now. We're supposed to get more rain tomorrow, but today is beautifully sunny with a cold wind.
    Cuddles to Remy and Shama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some interesting plastic critters in your garden, I have a few too.
    I like your wind spinner.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle; just a few birds and these ones don't eat my plums like the real parrots do. The wind spinner was from cheap as chips.

      Delete
  8. Love how your garden is doing, River.
    I like Angel's cool hidey spot.
    Kackle and Cap'n Jack made me smile, they're cute garden accents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki; it's coming along nicely, waiting now for spring growth to see how much empty space gets filled. I found Angel's hidey spot quite by accident one hot day when I squirted him with the hose and that's where he ran to. Cap'n Jack is quite faded, I'll have to get some weather proof paint for him.

      Delete
  9. I love all the novelties in your garden and those succulents are doing so well.
    I feel crotons are pot plants more than garden plants but I may be wrong. My sister-in-law used to grow them in pots always.
    Weeds!!!! Our back garden is being overrun with the damned things. Mostly wild oats and altho' Phil has good intentions they don't get much attention these days.
    We actually have a bottlebrush with flowers on which just goes to show how the changing weather patterns are even confusing to garden plants.
    Loved your post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimsie; I started putting a few novelties for something to look at while the garden slept through the winter. I haven't seen many crotons in pots, only in nurseries. In parks and private gardens I see them in garden beds, usually in semi shaded areas. When I lived in QLD I saw them everywhere. Wild oats are tough to get rid of, they're as prolific as grass!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs