Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Charlotte and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. guidance 

2. tea 

3. argument 

4. role 

5. thanks 

6. warning 

and/or: 

1. leadership 

2. song 

3. nation 

4. highway 

5. piano 

6. owner

use either list or both, or mix and match, just have fun.

Here is my story:

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I’ve called this meeting to discuss Khoral Kai.”

Jonah shuffled nervously as he looked around. “Cakes and cups of tea will be available at the end of the meeting, there are other things to discuss as well, but let’s begin with Khoral. I see everyone called has attended tonight’s meeting, so I’ll dive right in. At the next Town Fair I would like to present Khoral Kai with the Best Citizen award. The guidance and leadership he has shown to our young people, the children as well as the teenagers, the respect and honesty he always shows to all of us, deserves our thanks. The role he now plays in all our lives is something none of us will ever forget. I’m sure I will hear no argument when I suggest that we transfer permanent ownership of the lighthouse to Khoral.”

Most of the heads nodded in agreement and several people gave thumbs up signals. A buzz of voices followed as people began to wonder exactly where this ceremony was to be held. The usual place was the Town Hall, with its stage and the old piano in the corner, but the Town Hall roof was still undergoing repairs. Molly spoke up, “if the day is fine and warm enough, could we hold the ceremony outside, in the park, right on the stage where he holds the story telling sessions?” “An excellent idea,” said two or three people at once. Old Pete, who used to live in the lighthouse, said, “I like that idea a lot. He loves living there, has improved the garden and even had the paintwork touched up. It’s nice to think he could own it and live his life there.”

Terry said, “I have something to add. The path to the lighthouse is used so often now, it’s practically a highway and I think it’s time we got it properly paved.” Jonah asked for a show of hands on that and everyone there raised their hand. “That’s agreed then, but we should give Khoral a bit of warning before work starts. No spilling the beans about the Best Citizen award though!” a few laughs followed that, then Jonah went on. “Next order of business….”


Comments

  1. The world needs a LOT more citizens like Khoral. And it also needs people who recognise their importance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I found you in the spam today :( I agree the world needs more like Khoral and recognition of them is also a good thing.

      Delete
  2. My thumbs are up also. So glad the community is recognizing his contributions. He is one of my favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; It's going to be a huge surprise for him.

      Delete
  3. You made my heartbeat skip with that entry!!!!
    I really thought Khoral turned out being bad! Phew... And then you gave me the biggest smile!
    Thank you, thumbs up! :-) Great story, very well written.
    Will you make a real book from this?
    If you do, I will buy a copy for sure. No. I would not. Two, one for my big Niece, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; sorry about your heartbeat. Khoral could never be bad. I don't know that it will ever be a real book. I would like it to be, but the story needs so much more work.

      Delete
  4. River badly required etiquette guidance with regard to taking afternoon tea. Unsurprisingly, an argument broke out about the role of sugar tongs - no thanks to Barbara who had been warning River about her table manners for decades.

    They had been talking about leadership and the song that became Australia's national anthem, inspiring the nation. River remembered singing it repeatedly along the highway that leads to Bordertown, Bob Hawke's birthplace.

    Just then piano music wafted through the Adelaide tea rooms as the owner, made an important announcement. Anyone found using fingers to pick up sugar lumps would be permanently barred. "What the hell do you think the sugar tongs are for?" she growled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The system dumped my last comment in Spam I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; I found you there and I think maybe from now on River might just dump the whole bowl of sugar cubes in her tea. That'll teach 'em. Tongs! Pfft!

      Delete
  6. I was worried that an accident had befallen Khoral! Good to know he's getting an award. I won't tell!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs