Calendar Tuesday #8

It's August 2nd.

Time again for Calendar Tuesday, which only happens on the first Tuesday each month.

Beginning with the Country Homes Ideas calendar:

I like these big old French style wardrobes, but I'm not a fan of mirrored doors. I'd rather have a mirror on the inside of the door, that way there isn't glare from the light shining at me whenever I'm in the room.

Moving on to the Violent Veg calendar:

improperly dressed salad (*~*)

now for the Suzy Toronto calendar:

and here is what it says:


Reading Is like Dreaming with 
Your Eyes Wide Open

OK...let's admit it. Some of us are reading addicts...as in full-fledged, over-the-top readaholics.
Family and friends threaten us with intervention because they always catch us with a book in our hands.

We don't dare tell them about the one tucked away on our nightstand or the one stashed next to our favourite chair.
(I'm not even going to discuss the electronic gizmos we have filled to capacity with even more reading material!)

We love the way the words dance around the pages, painting a poetic masterpiece that makes our hearts tingle.
Some parts are so good, we just have to read them twice!

But that's not all. 
The real hook is that reading allows us to dream with our eyes wide open. It takes us to distant and exotic lands and serves up wild adventures in make-believe worlds.

All we have to do is pick up a new book, crack the spine, and let the magic transport us.

Our books become a safe haven to which we can escape, an adventure to discover, or a place and time in history to relive. They stimulate our mind, broaden our vocabulary, and expand our base of knowledge.

No wonder we're so passionate!
So go ahead...dream with your eyes wide open.
Pick up a book and read!





Comments

  1. I will never forget the look on my son's face when it dawned on him that I hadn't been just telling the stories from the pictures in his books. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S.J.Qualls; isn't it wonderful when the kids discover the scrawly black bits are letters and words! And the first time they read YOU the story!

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your Calendar Tuesdays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; thank you. I'm hoping to find good calendars for next year, but they won't be in shops until September or October.

      Delete
  3. I have discovered a blog called Advanced Style. It's about old farts like me, wearing cool clothes that I wish I could afford. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; but you know how to sew, maybe you could copy them? I'll see if I can find the blog for a look.

      Delete
  4. We had a wardrobe (aka a chifferobe, or so my Granny called them) shaped like that one but in a nice, sensible brown and with a mirror on the inside of the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cranky; please define "nice sensible brown". there are so many browns out there, I hope yours wasn't mud coloured. Perhaps oak or mahogany? Ebony? No, that's black. Walnut?

      Delete
  5. Oh that style furniture is SO lovely but it just doesn't go well in a middle class home with so many children running about. I would want it toned down a bit - no mirrors and maybe just wood and a bit more sturdy wardrobe. It looks super-useful though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Elf Christine; it is lovely, but it wouldn't suit here either. It's the kind of thing that needs sunny spacious rooms I think.

      Delete
  6. All brilliant this week.
    Suzy Toronto is so very right - and I am snickering at the Violent Veg. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I dearly hope I find a Suzy Toronto for next year. This year's pages MAY get framed and hung on a wall. Certainly the Violent Veg will be hung on my kitchen wall.

      Delete
  7. Happy second day of August to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; Happy August to you too :)
      I'm having a pyjama day with a hot water bottle against an aching back, but it isn't so bad that I can't move; just needs a little warming up.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry to hear that, River. Take it steady...a good chance to catch up on some reading. :)

      Delete
  8. Well said I've never heard reading explained like that before.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle; I remember my mum saying something similar when I was very small. "Wide awake dreaming" she would say, or "lost in a book again".
      She didn't understand the magic I found in the pages, until much, much later when she took up reading herself.

      Delete
  9. You could have written 'Reading Is like Dreaming with
    Your Eyes Wide Open' yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your calendars are really fabulous and hope you find good ones next year too. We are cheap skastes and buy $2 calendars or use the ones our chemist and Council provide. I do though buy the Zoo calendar but that of course only has pics of animals on it.
    I so enjoyed the description of reading. So much truth and do you know I often find pleasure in reading such books as "Secret Garden" and "Alice in Wonderland" and I then really escape into them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs