Sunday Selections # 291



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.
 
I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week we're seeing how my garden is progressing.

I found this quite large cutting of a white geranium on the footpath near a bus stop, so of course I brought it home. I do love white flowers.

my mint is coming back quite strongly, I'll get out there again soon and trim off the scraggly dead bits.

I don't remember what this is, but it's spreading now at a most satisfactory rate. I have two of them. There was a third, smaller one, but it seems to have wandered into a neighbours pot on her front porch....

the slightly different growth in the centre may be a flower stalk, we'll have to wait and see.

the single rosette I planted is now a small mound of many, can you see the tiny newcomer jut right and below of centre? These are quite small, the eventual size of the mound may be as big as a dinner plate.

the hoya I rescued from P's front porch isn't doing so well, the leaves are a sickly yellow instead of a lovely rich green. I sent an email to the gardening expert who writes a column in our Sunday paper, hopefully she will get back to me before the hoya gives up completely.

a virtual forest of bluebell spikes has appeared around the tree, no flowers yet.

once the bluebells die down again next autumn, I'll lift some of the bulbs and put them in this empty space. Eventually the tree will be surrounded by bluebells.

the tiny aeoniums I put in the birdbath have grown amazingly well. That soil is only four inches deep in the centre and very shallow around the edges. You can see how it has shrunk away from the edges with dryness, I watered straight after taking the photos. The first watering since last summer.


Many more of my freesias are blooming now, I don't see any white ones, maybe I didn't plant any. I'll have to get some.

I like this striped pink,

and this lovely strong yellow.

the taller black aeoniums are developing branches now. Wherever a flower appears on a stem, it will eventually grow outwards on a new branch as you see here. Like mini trees.

the aeoniums seen from above

this next photo is not from my garden, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it anyway :)

no-one's kangaroo paws are doing so much better than mine, which are only just beginning to show signs of flowers.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Comments

  1. Everything is doing well. I forgot about freesia, and will have some for this new garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; I'd forgotten just how many freesias I had. Thinking back now, I think I planted about 75.

      Delete
  2. Loving all your plants! Flowers are nice, but green is good too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S.J.Qualls; I love green and planted mostly green things first, now I'm looking for things with colour to fill in empty spaces, but I'll wait out another season to see how much empty space there will be.

      Delete
  3. What a talented plant to wander under ground and into your neighbours pot. Sigh.
    Love your freesias (mine are in bud). And all of your garden. No-one's kangaroo paws are spectacular too.
    Yellow hoya leaves? Too much wind or shade? Hoyas are sulky beasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; at least I know where to get a new piece should mine suddenly die (*~*)
      The hoya was long neglected once P became too ill, so perhaps it is still recovering. I fed it a bit of diluted Seasol when I first moved it and it did green up a bit, then the new green leaves fell off. It's in full sun, so it's a wait and see situation now.

      Delete
  4. We once had a pot with four different cacti in it and the rosette shaped one above ended up dominating the pot. I wonder what can be wrong with the hoya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; the rosettes are well known for taking over once they start reproducing. I think the hoya is suffering neglect. I've had it less than a year and we're just coming out of winter, so we'll wait and see.

      Delete
  5. Your plants are looking great, River. Here's a site for you re hoya...it might be of help to you...I hope it is...http://www.sundaygardener.net/how-to-grow-a-hoya-plant/

    I hope you spring into the coming week...Spring will be! Cuddles to Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; thank you, I'll check that site straight away. I'll spring as far as I'm able, but the old legs don't like springing as much as they used to.
      You won't believe what Angel has just done. Sat on the floor beside me until I finished my hot coffee, THEN jumped up for a cuddle and when I said I'd like to turn the computer on now, so you'll have to stay away from the keyboard, he jumped down and went outside! He's turned into a trained cat!

      Delete
    2. Hahhahahaha! Angel went out to check on the hoya! :)

      My old legs and hip won't allow me to do much springing, either! ;)

      Delete
  6. The plants are so beautiful! Nice photos ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer; welcome to Drifting. Thank you, everything here is beginning to bloom now that spring is on the way.

      Delete
  7. So good to see the new life in the garden so looking forward to spring this year,
    Merle...........................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle; it is nice to see things that survived the winter, more this year than last year. I'm looking forward to seeing your garden all green and lush again too.

      Delete
  8. These aeoniums are so nifty-looking. I don't think they grow here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Elf Christine; they're a hot and dry climate plant, so maybe not, but you could try one in a pot inside by a sunny window. There are shorter varieties, ask at your local nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. River, the white geraniums are usually good climbers so make sure there's some wire or wood backing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JahTeh; these aren't climbers, they're the bush type. If the plant does well, I'll take cuttings over time and grow a little hedge. The parent plant is about 75cm to 1m tall.

      Delete
  11. I don't know why but we call that rosetta plant "hens and chicks". They do spread and cover the planter. Have you ever heard them called that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; yes I've heard the hen and chickens, also applied to many other plants that grow in this manner.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs