Thursday Thoughts # 95

quotes: (not from books)

Transvestite: a guy who likes to eat, drink and be Mary (author unknown)

My mind works like lightning, one brilliant flash and it is gone (Maxine)

My idea of a Super bowl is a toilet that cleans itself (Maxine)

Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex 

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.


Today's Thought:

Angel had a few "off" days recently, I watched him closely, but didn't go racing off to the vet, mostly because man-handling him into the carrier is a job I'd rather not do if it isn't necessary.

He was lethargic, reluctant to move and ducking away when I tried to pat him. Off his food too. So I kept an eye on him, sat beside him and spoke to him a lot. 
He had no fever, or at least no obvious fever, no bad smell, and his eyes were clear and bright still.

After a couple of days, he came to me for pats and cuddles which I gave him very carefully as he was still flinching when I touched his ribs and his right shoulder. One more day and I was able to gently feel around on that shoulder and discovered something embedded in the soft area between neck and shoulder, just above the bone. It was beginning to work its way out, so I nudged it with my thumb a couple of times, then he raced off. 
A clear message to me to leave it alone.

This continued for a couple of days, then when I was nudging the embedded 'something', I noticed it was out far enough for me to get a good grip and yank it out. I told Angel what I was about to do, told him it would hurt, but he would feel better after, then I yanked. 
He lay still and let me do it!
He's such a trusting cat, he knows I wouldn't hurt him unnecessarily.
I'm not sure what I pulled out, I suspect it was a claw from another cat. Certainly it felt too soft to be a rose thorn.
Angel straight away began licking at the wound and then left it alone for a couple of days and it was fine. Seemed to be healing nicely.

Monday, I came home and found he'd been over grooming at the area, there was a space about an inch around the puncture with no hair left. I'm guessing it was at the stage where a healing wound begins to itch. There was no discharge, no smell and he was otherwise behaving normally, even getting between me and my keyboard demanding belly rubs again. 
So I'll just be keeping an eye on the spot to be sure it is healing.

You may be able to make out the pink of bare skin just above the shadow there. Under the strands of damp hair is the puncture wound, I didn't want to push the hair aside, Angel was already reluctant to have the camera this close. 

It doesn't look inflamed at all, and he isn't in pain since I yanked out the 'something', so I think I'm safe saying all will be well.
 

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you were able to get the offending, foreign object out. Hopefully, no infection sets in. I think if it was going to, it would've done so by now. Angel will keep cleaning that area...removing the fur around it etc., which is normal...what they do. You could bathe the area with a weak saline solution, if he'll let you...but cats are pretty good at keeping a wound like that clean.

    You're doing the right thing...I'm sure he will be fine now that the "thing" has been removed.

    He's thanking you in his cat way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; He'd let me bathe it if I insisted, but he's doing it well enough on his own. There's no infection, but there is a huge bare patch now. I was scratching his back last night and discovered a smaller wound, scabbed over and the scabs already lifting off.

      Delete
  2. Get well, Angel, and leave the big boys alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; he's completely well apart from the puncture which isn't at all infected. I'm curious about which cat would do this, all the ones around here know him and he's bigger than they are.

      Delete
  3. I am glad that you were able to get it out before infection set in. I have lanced an abcess for a cat in the past and it wasn't fun for either of us.
    Loved your thoughts for the day, but Angel was the important part of the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; there may have been slight infection, there was a little oozing the day I pulled it out, but it's clean now and Angel is running around like a kitten.

      Delete
  4. Cat claws are about the dirtiest, I've been told. It does look as if Angel is taking care of it. You did the best - all you need to do is watch it.

    Funny quotes, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S.J.Qualls; cat claws are the worst and did you know that human teeth are almost as bad? But Angel is his own doctor and the wound is clean.

      Delete
  5. No flame or and odd discharge is a good sign. I agree with SJ on watching it.
    I have to agree with Maxine on the "super bowl" but right now I could use self cleaning bath tub.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peppylady (Dora); I'm keeping an eye on the wound, I think it will be fine.
      I don't have a bath tub any more, just a shower here and I keep it clean by drying it after every time I shower. I used to do the same with my bath tub when I had one, wipe it out and dry it straight away. Something I learned from my mother.

      Delete
  6. So there could be a cat around minus a claw. Seems like Angel won the battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; I'm wondering which cat that would be, but I have a suspicion. There's one that sits on my front porch and they stare at each other through the screen, but a day before I pulled out the thing, Angel ran away from the door when B came and sat on the porch.

      Delete
  7. I hope all remains well with Angel, River. Not seeing a Friday post from you, which is the norm, raises some concerns with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; if I don't get my mind in gear there may not be a Friday post. I'm stumped by the words Hannahbananaface set us with.

      Delete
  8. D'oh!!!! Further to my above post...I've just realised today is Thursday, not Friday!! I've been a day or two ahead of myself all week! It's called "Olympic Fever"!!

    I don't know what day it is!! (Some could say I'm always this way...but don't believe everything you hear)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; oh no! Olympic fever! You need to lay down somewhere quiet with a cool cloth on your forehead, a cool drink by your side and close your eyes. Let it all drift away......

      Delete
  9. That wound probably needed some peroxide or alcohol to kill germs, but I'm guessing Angel would not allow anyway...I guess nature knows what it is doing and just licking the wound is doing the trick. I think you handled it well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. joeh; animals in the wild take care of themselves by licking wounds to keep them clean and Angel seems to be doing a good job there. I will keep an eye on it though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must send this to my daughter who has a 14 year old. Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad Angel seems to be healing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs