Sunday Selections # 289



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.
 
I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week we have a small floral selection, beginning with freesias:

the first blooms of the season, there are many, many more buds out there, I can tell already a lot of them are yellow.

this is a plant I have never seen before, strappy leaves, flower stems with conical centres surrounded by buds and open star shaped blue/purple flowers.

they're in a yard just down the street from me, there used to be a fence hiding them, but that fence blew down in the same wind that brought us the blackout several weeks ago.

if anyone can tell me what these are I'll be grateful; then I can go to a nursery and ask about buying some.

the woolly bear caterpillars are back! They've decimated my dusty millers, before I photographed these two, I picked off another dozen and threw them onto the driveway. Many of the aeoniums also have big chunks eaten from the leaves.

the wattles are beginning to bloom too. I didn't have my camera with me when I noticed them, so I dug out these few photos from a few years ago.

this one, same tree as above, is lemon scented and I love walking past it on a warmish day when the bees are buzzing in it.

this one, with it's longer stems of fluffy blossoms, is by the bus stop, it began flowering last week, but this is another older photo. Also scented, but not as strongly as the other one. it does get just as many bees though.
 

of course we can't have a floral theme without roses! These four blooms on a single stem were dancing in a soft breeze several feet above my head.

so it's still cold here, especially overnight and in the mornings, yesterday we had early morning fog that held back several planes from taking off, but spring is definitely on the way.
 

 

Comments

  1. What gorgeous flowers! I have no idea what that alien one is, but it sure is out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S.J.Qualls; I love my freesias, I have several different colours planted. I'm hoping someone can tell me what the blue flower is.

      Delete
  2. Babe, take the picture to the garden center and show them. They'll know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace; that's the plan. I've already printed out a picture. Just thought I'd try here first.

      Delete
  3. I do know that the blue flower is - but it has escaped me. I will not think about it until it comes back.
    Your gardens are much further along than ours. No freesias yet and definitely no roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I hope you can remember the blue one. Here in the flats, there is only one rose bloom in the garden nearest my flat; the lovely ruffled yellow ones are in a garden down the street and that bush is covered in blooms.

      Delete
  4. And a happy floral Sunday to you, River....I hope the week ahead is brimming with happiness for you as well...cuddles to Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; it feels like it will be a good week. Angel is well, he had a bit of trouble last week, off his food, lethargic, but he's himself again now.

      Delete
  5. Lovely! The transplanted milkweed I thought was done blooming made pods, and has more flowers! Plants are pretty amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; plants often surprise us. Moving something will sometimes stress it enough to bloom in order to produce seeds to ensure survival.

      Delete
  6. You took us on a lovely tour and I could almost smell the aromas you described.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; lemon scented wattles are strong, yet delicate with their fragrance. I love standing near or under one on a warm day.

      Delete
  7. I am enjoying the wattle too. Even though I am allergic to it! I'm going to try and get some local honey today as I hear that can help with allergies..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred; lots of people seem to be allergic to wattle. Me, with my many allergies, I don't have any trouble with it. Which I'm very grateful for.

      Delete
  8. .. I love the flowers today, River.... the one with the cone centre and blue flowers is so lovely . I wouldn't mind some in my garden too. I love the wattles.
    ... Barb xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara; I'd love to have a few of those blue ones, that's why I need to know the name. I'll take a picture to a garden centre soon. But I'll also keep an eye on the garden where they are. If that house goes up for sale like the one next to it and the one across the road, I'll knock on their door and ask if I can 'rescue' the plants.

      Delete
  9. I like all those flowers, especially the roses.
    Spring is on the way, and RH is on the perv, those yuppie girls pounding the pavements around here work heart and lungs OH my goodness! Living with RH there'd be no time for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R.H. in a few weeks there will be so many roses here, we won't know which to photograph first.

      Delete
  10. Such beautiful pictures. I don't have a clue what the blue flower is. Very unusual looking for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl; thank you. I'm hoping to find out the name of the blue one.

      Delete
  11. When you find out what the blue star flower is I would like to know too, it's very attractive.
    Oh wattles they are beautiful but they do play up with my nose.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle; you're allergic to wattle too? I'm not, but I'm allergic to so much else.
      When I find out what the blue flower is, I'll let everyone know.

      Delete
  12. Watch those caterpillars, some of the fuzzy ones sting and burn. I don't know how you can pick them up I have an absolute phobia about caterpillars, worms and other crawling things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. JahTeh; I don't think we get the stinging ones here, just the green ones and the woolly bears. I don't like the amount of destruction the woolly bears do, the green ones tend to stay on just one plant, the bears can decimate an entire garden in a day or two if left unchecked. so I pick them off each August and throw them onto the driveway to get run over. Or to find their way to the other side, away from my plants. the thing is, they come in such great numbers, dozens and dozens of them. I'm not at all squeamish about picking them up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I look forward to find out what that blue flower is. It is different to any I've ever seen and think it stunning.
    Those roses are beautiful..so frilly.
    Not seen any furry caterpillars here as yet but will keep a watch out for them and squish them. I hate doing it but I can't very well throw them over the fence. lol
    I grew freesias for several years but now have allowed the grass to take over that spot.
    We have also been having cold nights in Perth but today is a lovely 21C but more rain expected next week and we still need much more of the wet stuff here in the west.
    Happy Sunday to you and hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimsie; Rosemary B down below you has the answer, 'Scilla Peruviana'
      Did you dig out the freesias before the grass took over or are the bulbs still underground? They may pop up some day.

      Delete
  15. I've never seen the blue flowering plant before. It's leaves look a little like those of an agapanthus. I wonder if it is related. Do your freesias smell? Modern varieties don't seem to smell like the old white type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; I have the answer to the blue flowers, thanks to Rosemary B. I don't know if my freesias have a fragrance, I don't bend down that low so much anymore. I do have some white ones in the mix, maybe I'll get down on my knees when they flower.

      Delete
  16. The blue flower is called a Scilla and I have several in my garden. I started off with one and it has multiplied and Inow have a few. I think it is a South African plant and it does very well here. I live in South Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary B; welcome back, I think you've been here before? and thank you very much; now I know what to ask for at the garden centre.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs