Wednesday's Words on a Friday



On Wednesdays, assorted people have been taking monthly turns at putting up a selection of words which is called “Words for Wednesday”.

We have taken over this meme from Delores, who had been having computer problems.
This month the meme continues here, at Hannah’s blog

Essentially the aim is to encourage us to write.   

Each week we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music or images.   What we do with those prompts is up to us:  a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or treating them with ignore...
Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog.  We would really like it if as many people as possible joined in with this fun meme.
If you are posting on your own blog - let us know so that we can come along and read your masterpiece.
I’m hopeless at poetry so I always do a story.

It’s a fun challenge…why not join in?

This week's words are:

1. whimsy
2. shadows
3. fluttering
4. untied
5. ice cubes
6. sunbeams

also this image :
which I wasn't able to use :(

Here is my short story:

 We all sat around on the grass leading down to the dock, some of us in lawn chairs in the shadows, the younger kids running around throwing ice cubes at each other. 

We were waiting for Uncle Ben and Aunty Kath. They'd bought a houseboat and had her refitted, repainted and renamed; their plan was to run her up and down as many rivers as they could, using up their retirement years. Today was the day the new name was to be unveiled.


There'd been a barbecue lunch earlier and a blustery breeze had set the jaunty banners fluttering, where they were strung across the roof of the boat. She was a grand old thing, with berths for six, so when they came to visit whichever one of us was nearest to whatever river they were on, grandkids, nieces and nephews could take turns sleeping on the river. 


Most of us lived near one or other of the major rivers, using the water to irrigate our veggie beds and fruit orchards. We'd all been river people all our lives, not a single one of us had any urge to move to the city or the outback. 


The sun was beginning to set and sunbeams speared through clouds gathering on the horizon, before Uncle Ben and Aunty Kath arrived. 


We called everyone together and moved to the end of the dock where Uncle Ben, with a flourish, untied the banner covering her new name.


And there it was, in fancy lettering, teal with gold edging, "The Whimsy." We all cheered and laughed, remembering the day Aunty Kath had ranted about "Ben's latest crazy whim", then when she saw the boat she had been as smitten as he was about spending their retirement on the rivers they both loved.


Comments

  1. An upbeat story--I liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh River you always have the best stories in this challenge. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buttons thought; thank you. I just write what I feel.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant. I am very, very fond of whimsy. And rivers. I would love to spend time on a houseboat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you. I'd love it myself, although I'd have to be tied to a dock during violent storms, in case I needed help.

      Delete
  4. A lovely, happy tale, River. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I was in a happy mood and it shows, right?

      Delete
    2. I loved the story all the way to the unveiling of the name. It made me smile.

      Delete
    3. Granny Annie; I like short and sweet.

      Delete
  5. MAID RIVER WINS TATTSLOTTO AND MOVES TO THE FRENCH RIVIERA!

    On the beach
    In the town
    I saw you from a distance
    Through the shadows of a summer
    Made for whimsy.

    And on the terrace
    Drinking cocktails
    Untied poodle at your feet
    White coat Waiters
    Fluttering
    At your side
    You raised a glass
    Held it there-
    Beyond seeing
    beyond care
    Sunbeams Frozen
    In the ice cubes
    Of your indifference.

    -Robert.

    What's it mean? I've no idea, and it's bad manners to ask. Manners are what's missing nowadays, a poet must live in a society where every second word is fuck. A consumer society. Crass. People go to and fro, no love between them. Love, they say, is want, that's all, interest-free until 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R.H. that's a beautiful poem, thank you.
      Maid River would never move to a country where she can't speak the language. She would stay in Australia, but would certainly visit other English speaking countries.

      Delete
  6. I an reminded of a cartoon I saw recently. A man was painting "FAT ASS" on the stern of the boat when a lady asked from nearby,' I hope you remember to put my name on the Boat" "Yes dear I have" He replied.

    Good story again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Robert and nice of you to join in. Loved the image of the untied poodle and the waiter's fluttering coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; his poetry is often beautiful.

      Delete
  8. Thank you ladies, a poet lives for acclamation. And a household which adores his talents. Unfortunately I live alone with two dogs who just pee on everything, including my compositions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R.H. perhaps you should put those compositions where the dogs can't get to them.

      Delete
  9. Loved it! I could easily see the adults resting in the shade, while the kids tossed ice cubes at each other. And Whimsy is definitely a great name for a boat of any kind.

    Years ago, my Aunt Doris wanted a mink coat. Instead, my Uncle Pete bought a coat. Its name? Doris' Mink. :)

    I also loved R.H.'s poem. Much acclamation to him for his poetic talents. (Dogs are notoriously bad judges of talent.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; before I wrot this, I'd never thought of Whimsy as a name for a boat, but it's perfect for a houseboat.

      Delete
  10. greetings dear River drifting through.
    I can never handle any blog themes requiring concentration but I admire those who do them. and Robert is clearly a true Poet [looks like he really has experienced that Riviera vibe too], glad I saw that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. iODyne; thanks for drifting through. Concentration doesn't come easily to me, so I'm glad for these challenges which make me at least think a bit.

      Delete
  11. Susan, thanks, dogs can be good judges of talent, or they wouldn't howl for miles around here in protest when my consort visits and bursts into opera.
    And how marvellous to hear from iODyne, whose earthy wit I've long admired. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R.H. I'd howl too if anyone burst into opera too close to me.

      Delete
  12. When I saw the word "Whimsy" I thought of one of local churches called the "Whimsical Hand" I won't go in to it.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peppylady; a church called Whimsical Hand? Sounds more like a Gambling Hall; perhaps they play Bingo in there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs