Thursday Thoughts # 81

from The Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett:

"You had to deal every day with people who were foolish and lazy and untruthful and downright unpleasant, and you could certainly end up thinking that the world would be considerably improved if you gave them a slap. But you didn't because, as Miss Tick explained: a) it would only make the world a better place for a very short time; b) it would then make the world a slightly worse place; and c) you're not supposed to be as stupid as they are."

" But when it came to odd, Miss Treason didn't just take the cake, but a packet of biscuits too, with sprinkles on the top, and also a candle."
"Yes...perhaps Miss Treason didn't just take the cake, a packet of biscuits with sprinkles on the top, and a candle, but also the trifle, the sandwiches and a man who made amusing balloon animals afterwards."

Today's Thoughts:

I recently discovered, okay a couple or three years ago, the steampunk style of making things. At first I just noticed unusual clocks in pictures in magazines and on the internet, then I saw steampunk styled cakes on the Cake Wrecks website. Googling around a bit I also discovered steampunk styled clothing, which I think looks fabulous, but isn't something I could wear. 
I thought today I could show you my favourite steampunk clocks, the ones I would buy if I had millions of dollars and my own house to put them in and I'll follow that with a few steampunk styled cakes.

this on my lounge room wall

this one in the dining room

one for the bedroom.

a whimsical cat for the family room,

and this gecko on the outside entertaining/barbecue area.

a calendar clock for the guest bedroom, so they don't forget what date it is and remember to go home (*~*)

and one for the study/library

Now for some cake....mmm, cake.....

steampunk rocketship by Roses and Bows

by Marina Sousa's Just Cake

Owl by Het bonte taartje

by Artisan Cake Company

by Sweet Janis

by Bespoke Cakes.

these are all from the "Sunday Sweets" selection at Cake Wrecks, if you go over there and wander around a bit, you might find yourself as amazed as I am by the cake decorating skills of so many people.

Me? I just make a round or square cake, slap on some buttercream, smooth it over with a flat knife and call it done.
What about you? Are you a whizz-bang cake decorator?










 

Comments

  1. I used to be a whizz-bang cake decorator, but my fuse burned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fishducky; I always wanted to be great at cake decorating but the gene isn't in me. my daughter and grand daughter both have it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The clocks are brilliant. I am sure the cat one appeals to you. I like the gecko clock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, beautiful and intriguing creations one and all. I have only one clock in my household...my little one-battery-operated bedside clock that I bought back in January, 1998 for less than $10.00 at Woolworths in the Canelands Shopping Centre in Mackay! And I don't wear or own a watch.

    As for cake decorating...it's never been my forte, probably because it's never interested me much. I'm definitely not a whizz-bang cake decorator. The good old cream cheese/lemon juice/icing sugar frosting slapped on my carrot-pineapple cake (when I make them) does me! I've never iced my Christmas cakes, ever. I just put almonds and/or walnuts, along with glace cherries over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought two pictures of old cars made from watch parts for the nephew's 21st birthday which he can't remember and my sister denies ever seeing. I know which one probably chucked them in the bin and they weren't cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew; I like both cat and gecko, my favourite is the big one I'd have in the lounge room.

    Lee; I have a digital bedside clock that I got for about $14, I don't keep a battery in it, because the one before that leaked all over the bedside and ate a hole in my paint. I have a wall clock in the kitchen that is 18 years old and a small mantel clock in the lounge that is 14 years old.
    I love cream cheese icing on carrot cake!

    JahTeh; that's too sad, it really is. What a shame. I've seen small motorbikes and musical instruments made from tiny gears and other bits, but never cars. They're quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The clocks are certainly different, some are to my taste in the right house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret-whiteangel; good point, the house would have to be suitable. These wouldn't work in a tiny Victorian cottage for example.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs