Sunday Selections # 61

It's Sunday Selections time again!

Time to post photos that have been languishing in your files, maybe you forgot about them, maybe you thought they weren't good enough...whatever the reason, we'd like to see them anyway.

This idea was brought to us by Kim, of Frog Ponds Rock fame; Kim is a ceramic artist who makes wonderful cups, platters and bowls, along with dragons eggs and other environmental things.
She also takes amazing photos.

Some time this weekend, (I believe it's today),  Kim is participating in the Greatest Shave to raise funds for Leukemia sufferers and research. Why not hop on over to the Frog Ponds and give her a little encouragement and support.

I usually choose a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm bringing you a selection of photos from the garden I used to have.

CACTUS AND OTHER SUCCULENTS

The small Cactus box.

Slightly blurry Cactus "faces".


Another Cactus.


This Cactus flower had the foulest odour I have ever smelt on a flower.


This prolific little Cactus was popped into her pot and immediately began producing all the little babies around her.

Here you see Hootie in amongst the Aloe Veras and Jades.
I still have Hootie and I took pieces of the Jades before I sent all of them to the Community Garden.
They're alive and well on my current front porch.


One of the Jades before they started getting really big. And something grey/green that grows in Rosettes and produces many babies. I know it as Hen and Chickens, but there are lots of succulents that also go by this name.

Something purple that I've forgotten the name of. These were in three large pots against the trellis in the driveway.

Another purple one by the back fence. This one is showing more green.
Oddly enough, when I got the first cuttings, they were so dark they appeared to be black.


Mystery Succulent, very pretty and so prolific, I started with one and eventually gave away a dozen in various sizes.

The one I know as Hen and Chickens.


These are the pots along the back fence, guarded by a large Gnome named Harley.
The grassy stems popping out of the ground in front of Harley and to the left of the black pot are garlics.

To join in with Sunday Selections, post your photos, link back to Kim, then hop into the Frog Pond and add your name to the linky list. Kim likes it when you leave a comment too.

Comments

  1. There were once plans for a cactus garden in our backyard, but I vetoed it because it was going to be rocky, and I knew the rocks and the cacti would be too tempting for little ones who were bound to hurt themselves on one or the other. I do always stop to take photos of them when I am in a garden because they always offer such interesting colours, shapes and textures. My favourite is the star shaped (was that the stinky?) one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonza photos, i especially like the the brightly coloured cactus in the 4th photo, Hootie and what looks like a poor bodyless Knome :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos River :) I love cacti! I used to have some in a container garden. That star flower one is beautiful - shame about the odour. It looks like something you'd make for a scrapbooking project. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them. They are such rewarding plants to grow. The badly smelling one my father called 'dead horse cactus'. I don't know whether that is its real name or what he called it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. permanently amanda; my mum was a huge cactus fan too, while I prefer the succulents without spines. I always worry that little kids will fall into them, so I only had a few in that small box in the backyard, well away from where any kids might be.

    windsmoke; that's the stinky cactus. Hootie came to us looking a little the worse for wear and L painted him up nicely. Harley is quite tall, but his body was behind the board fencing off the grass.

    sleepydwarf; I'm not such a fan of things that can stab me, but they are pretty. In a previous yard there was a really big cactus growing in the front side yard, between the driveway and fence. My mum said watch out for the flowers, you only get about one a year. Eventually it flowered and was covered in about a dozen bright red blooms. My mum was quite jealous.

    EC; I like the succulents because they're so easy to grow. Pot them up, add a bit of water now and again, that's all you need to do until they outgrow the pots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a few of those cacti..or HAD a few.. Max ran out of house plants to eat so he's started eating the cacti...even the prickly ones. (stupid American dog) The smelly one is the Carrion Flower and it's supposed to look/smell like rotten meat which attracts flys which are it's natural pollinator. It's considered a pest weed in the outback.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tempo; I don't have these anymore, they all went to the community garden just before I moved. All I have now are four Jade cuttings that I brought with me. They're doing very well.
    Are the spines not deterring Max at all?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful photos! I love cacti and succulents and have a few at the moment. The Mystery Succulent looks like my jellybean plant, which reproduces from a dropped leaf! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos. How cool that you can have them in a garden! They'd probably die by drowning here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am doing the shave next saturday the 24th at about 7.30pm River. My grandmother has just given me some succulents, I had always avoided them because of the danger of them spreading into the bush, but these ones have lovely structure and are similar to your hen and chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cassandra Louise; welcome to drifting. It's very similar to a jellybean plant and reproduces the same way. Most succulents do.

    linda; I had them in pots and they were only watered if we had an extended dry spell. It helps that I'm living in the driest state in the driest continent.

    Kim; I'll be thinking of you next Saturday then. The succulents will be less likely to spread if you keep them contained in pots, but just remember that every dropped leaf will sprout roots and grow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs