page 195 triggered a memory

I'm currently reading The Help, by Kathryn Stockett.

It's a story set in Jackson, Mississippi, 1962,

"where black maids raise white children, but aren't trusted not to steal the silver.."

told from the viewpoint of several maids of the time, secretly, to a white woman wanting to write a book.

The book has been made into a movie, which I'm looking forward to seeing.

It's an interesting story, almost un-put-down-able, and page 195 stirred a memory deep in my mind.
On that page I read that a "Medgar Evers" had been shot in the back, in his own driveway and died with his wife and children crying and holding him.

I was sure I'd seen that already in a movie, one that I had a copy of on my own shelf.

I searched, found and started watching  "The Ghosts of Mississippi", starring Alec Baldwin and Whoopi Goldberg.

Sure enough it's the story of the shooting of Medgar Evers, the trial (where no-one was convicted), then fast forward 25 years when Alec Baldwin's character takes on the case and gets the trial reopened, with justice eventually, (finally) being served.

Comments

  1. But was justice served in reality?

    And even more importantly are you feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. EC; yes, the movie and the book are based on true stories. I am feeling more normal, finally felt like cooking and eating a proper meal today, after snacking on not much all week. Still coughing a bit, nose is running like a leaky tap, but my head is clear and the aches are almost gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dying to read this book (and see the movie as well). I think that there's still a tiny bit of "...black maids raise white children, but aren't trusted not to steal the silver.." here in Geneva, still. Nowhere near as bad as the deep south in the 1960s but still a 'we're here and they're down there' attitude amongst some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kath; there's a bit of that attitude everywhere still and it isn't confined to coloured people. I know people who don't allow their children to associate with certain others because their background is too different. Too poor for example. It goes on....everywhere even in these "enlightened times".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished the book as well, it was SOOOO good but the ending? Disappointing. Sorry for the spoiler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer Kay; damn! I hate disappointing endings. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs