mmm, strawberry sauce

After several weeks of eating storebought yoghurt, I decided it was time to start making my own again.
It isn't hard, I've just been lazy.
But taking a look inside my purse and wondering just where the heck all that money has gone, well, that was the deciding factor.
A small tub of yoghurt was costing me almost $3.
Making my own is a similar cost, but one packet of EasiYo Greek Style yoghurt base makes a whole kilo of yoghurt.
So it's much more economical.


I got out the EasiYo maker, half filled the yoghurt jar (it's plastic) with water, added the powder, mixed thoroughly, then topped up the container with more water. Screwed on the lid, shook vigorously, then stood it in the yoghurt maker thingy (which I forgot to take a photo of), which had been filled to the proper level with boiling water. Put the lid on that and leave it to stand overnight.


Next morning, I had a 1 kilo jar of yoghurt. Ready to put in the fridge to chill while I was at work.



I like to add things to my yoghurt, usually fruit, either fresh or canned, depending on what I have available. I've discovered that sliced or whole cherries are nice in it, but not grapes. Most other fresh fruit is okay.

Last summer, I discovered this oh-so-yummy strawberry sauce, which is really nice on the yoghurt, but oddly enough, much too sweet on icecream.




Look at this. A delicious daily serve of yummy calcium, in yoghurt form.





Comments

  1. Try adding some Barnes Honey you won't be disappointed yummmmmmy :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Windsmoke; I've heard of people adding honey, but I've never done it myself. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of this home yoghurt making. I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made yoghurt before. Is the yoghurt 'maker' a machine/appliance or smething that comes with the pack. I ask this because there's no way we could fit another appliance in our tiny house but am intrigued at trying to make my own....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew; it's dead easy, give it a go.

    Kath; The yoghurt maker and the plastic jar the yoghurt is made in come together as a kit. Available in the dessert aisle of your supermarket for about $20, look for the box that says EasiYo. Then you have to buy the EasiYo packets of powdered yoghurt base. One packet makes one kilo of yoghurt. No electricity is required apart from boiling the water to put into the maker to stand the jar in overnight. I'll take a photo and email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a cakemix, not good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs