Sometimes on the way to your dream,

you get lost and find a better one.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

apologies to all blogs I don't get around to

I have many blogs on my reading list and I'd love to get around to all of you every day.

But just lately, for at least a week now, maybe a bit longer, I'm having trouble with my internet connection.

I'm online, reading away, when suddenly my connection is cut off. just like that, I'm staring at a black screen.

I press the power button to turn off the computer, leave it a minute, then start it up again and try to reconnect. Most nights? Nothing. Not even a dial tone.
Sucky, sucky, sucky, sucky, sucky.......

Tonight, after trying to reconnect, I used the start menu to shut down properly. As soon as it shut down, my computer turned itself on again. What's going on here??

It didn't dial a connection automatically like it is supposed to, I went through the start menu and dialled a connection that way.
So here I am back online.
For how long? Who knows?

I don't have broadband, I have a dial-up connection, I pay $34.95 for 45 days of unlimited access. That's unlimited access, people.
My current usage doesn't expire until February 4th.
So I don't see any reason for my connection to suddenly drop out.

Now that I'm back online, I'll try to read as many of you as I can get to.
If I don't leave comments, that's just because I'm trying to get through my list before the connection cuts out again.

6 comments:

  1. You can get quite cheap broadband as long as you you don't download movies or listen to online radio etc. There is even a subsidised scheme for social security recipients. Our old clunker back in '99 coped with a broadband connection. Did you say in your last post that you use a laptop? Vodafone had 1.5gb broadband via a dongle for $15 per month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew; I have a mobile broadband usb stick thingy, the first time I used it I think I had 3GB which lasted me less than a week. Apparently optusnet counts even emails as downloads, and the number of blogs I read far exceeds any amount I can pay for. I'm looking at maybe Dodo, they have a high GB allowance for much less than the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Dodo and they're not bad. Have a look at their plans, I think I've seen plans for $29 for unlimited access on the slower broadband.

    I couldn't go back to dialup. It was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May i suggest 3 Mobile Broadband i'm on a 2 GB a month for $29.00 this is more than i need, maybe you could try 7 GB a month for $49.00 see what ya think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veronica; I had some Dodo information somewhere, but I've lost it. I'll be looking for it now, though. $29 a month for unlimited? Sounds good. I wouldn't mind if it was a bit slow.

    Windsmoke; 7GB a month would go nowhere I think. I could be wrong, but I really have no idea how much I actually use. That's why I love the unlimited deals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. River, this is what happened to me with dial-up until the speed was nil.
    With any of these deals it's not the charge per month/s, it's the initial start up fee. My advice, find a 16 year old nerd at Tandy or Dick Smith, don't go to the Internet stores.

    ReplyDelete